Fried rice has always been one of my favorite go to comfort meals. Rain, shine, snow, hail… everyday can be a fried rice day for me 😀 That crispy bits of rice, with pops of veggies… MMMMM…!
Another thing I love about fried rice, it’s perfect for cleaning out your fridge. I use the same recipe every time and just swap the meats and veggies with whatever I have on hand, and it’s always a WINNER!
The key to a great fried rice, is the crispy bits of rice you find in the mix. The way to get those crispy grains, is to press the rice flat on wok and leave it for about 2-3 minutes (see picture above).
Another key for me, is the fluffy eggs! Yes, the eggs have to be fluffy for me to LOVE the fried rice. And the way to achieve that is to cook the eggs prior, remove and set it aside, then mix it in later.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of rice
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 6-8 small mushroom of your choice (optional)
- 6-7 shrimp
- 1/2 cup beef strips (I used sirloin but you can use any kind)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Heat your wok over high heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil and quickly stir-fry the shrimp until they’re just cooked. Once they’re slightly translucent, about 2 minutes, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add the beef and quickly sear it to brown, about 1-2 minutes, remove and set aside with the shrimp. If using mushroom, fry them in the same pan for 3 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the wok and quickly fry the eggs. Once it’s just cooked (do not brown), about 2 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and fry until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Once just starting to brown, add the garlic. Fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the rice. Stir-fry the rice, mixing the ginger and garlic in. Then add the frozen peas and carrots and combine.
- Once well mixed, spread the rice out in one layer so it can toast on the bottom. **This is my favorite part…when the rice gets all crispy!
- Pour in the soy sauce, fish sauce, Shaoxing wine, sugar and pepper. Continue to stir-fry, while mixing in the sauce, for another 2 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots, followed by the shrimp, beef and eggs.
- Stir-fy to combine everything well.
- Off heat, add the scallions and cilantro, serve while hot!