Very possibly my favorite curry to make. This recipe has so many selling points…
- Super easy, 3 step (I count it as 2.5 steps) recipe.
- Stores really well. It actually gets better over the days if you re-heat in the pan.
- EVERYONE loves it.
- 3 lbs beef chunks with bones, washed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups of plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp of ginger paste
- 3 tbsp of garlic paste
- 1 large onion (about 1 1/2 cups), thinly sliced
- 2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder (less if you don’t want it too spicy)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 6-7 whole cardamons
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of water
- 5-6 green chiles, sliced in half (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix everything together really well. **See notes
- Cover and cook on Medium high heat for about 15-20 minutes, until it’s boiling for 10 minutes.
- Transfer it to the oven and cook for 1 1/5 – 2 hours, until it’s falling of the bone tender. **See notes
I like to mix in stages. In the pot, I mix spices and onions first, then mix in the beef and then add the water. It just mixes better this way.
Once it’s done, if you think it’s still too broth-y, cook it on stove top on high heat until the liquid evaporates.