Jamie Oliver… is a genius!
There are some chefs that I absolutely love and respect whole heartedly. Ones I kinda blindly trust… and Jamie Oliver is wayyyyy up there. Not sure if it was when he relentlessly tried to bring healthy food to the public schools OR if it’s when he started working on Jamie’s Kitchen, to help teens… OR maybe it’s when I realized that I always always look up his version of a recipe before trying anything for the first time, that I started trusting his approach to food.
I just think he’s an amazing chef and person…. I ♥ Jamie Oliver! And this recipe is one of many reasons why I absolutely love his cooking!
About This Recipe:
This recipe is from his book 5 Ingredients cookbook. If you haven’t bought it yet…. get it NOW! It’s exactly what the title says…. full of recipes that require only 5 ingredients how amazing is that? Don’t let that fool you though, these recipes maybe simple but they’re SOOO GOOD!
This chicken and potato dish is just that… meat and potatoes. However, the addition of lemon zest and rosemary oil at the end… friggin genius! And cooking the chicken right on top of the potatoes (I used a baking rack instead of putting it directly on the oven rack)…. another genius move. All the chicken juice drips onto the potatoes, while keeping them separate, so that both the potatoes and the chicken have the room to brown and crisp up. PURE GENIUS!
Everyone from busy moms, too busy working adults, to someone on a budget would really benefit from this book. If I haven’t made it clear enough… YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK. Trust me, you’ll thank me 🙂
- 3 chicken legs
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the chicken and sliced potatoes with whole garlic cloves, 2 tbsp oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the potatoes on the bottom of a baking pan in a single layer (completely fine if they overlap). Put a rack on top of the potatoes and lay the chicken legs on top **see picture above.
- Place in the oven (on the middle rack) and roast for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the skin off the lemon with the vegetable peeler. Mix with rosemary leaves and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- After 40 minutes of roasting, take the pan out, take the chicken off the rack and place right on top of the potatoes. Drizzle the lemon rosemary oil, along with half the lemon juice, over the chicken and potatoes and roast for another 10 minutes, until the chicken is nice and golden.