Yes, yes I know… tandoori chicken is supposed to be cooked in a Tandoori oven (clay oven). But let’s get real here… I live in an apartment in NY, sooooo… that’s not happening. Also, I do not want to stand over a hot grill and flip chicken while hosting a dinner.
My mom taught me this recipe and this has become my go to for dinner parties. You can prep this ahead of time and best part?…. You can make it on stovetop. It’s quick, it’s delicious and it’s SAUCY!
- 2 lbs chicken, you can use any cut you like. (I prefer dark meat for this recipe or a mix of both)
- 4 tbsp of your favorite powder tandoori spice mix
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of oil
- 4 sticks of cinnamon (optional)
- 8-10 whole cardamons (optional)
- Add salt ONLY if your spice blend calls for it. **see notes.
- Mix chicken, tandoori spice, yogurt, ginger, garlic and lime juice.
- Marinade for 2 hours to overnight. **see notes on storage.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cinnamon and cardamon if using. Add the onion and fry until it starts to lightly brown.
- Add the chicken and give it a good stir. Cover and let cook on medium low heat for about 30-35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Uncover and turn the heat to medium high. Cook until all the liquid cooks out and you are left with a thick, dry sauce, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with white rice or hot naan.
- The salt depends on the spice blend you buy. I used Shaan Tandoori Mix and that already had the appropriate salt added. Some other brands calls for salt, so read the label before you add any salt.
- You can marinade the chicken and keep it in the fridge for up to 48 hours. You can freeze it for up to 2-3 weeks. Just let it come to room temperature before you cook it.