Okra, also known as lady fingers, is one of my favorite vegetables to serve an aspiring foodie. I love to challenge them, if you can’t handle okra you can’t be a foodie… is that mean?
People can be skeptical about this beautiful pod thinking it’ll be slimy and gross. Not true! If cooked the right way okra is amazing as a side or even a main dish. Anyone that’s new to this vegetable, this is the way to introduce yourself to it. When stir fried, it doesn’t get slimy and it’s simple enough so you can really taste the veggie.
- 1 pack of frozen okra (16 oz)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 green chilies, optional
- Heat a large, shallow pan over medium high heat. **see notes
- Once pan is well heated, add the oil and sauté the onion until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the frozen okra, turmeric, salt and green chilies (if using). Sauté, stirring frequently, until okra cooked through and no longer slimy. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Enjoy with hot rice or roti.
- You need a large enough pan where you have enough space to fry the okra. If the pan gets crowded, the okra will steam and be slimy.