Flaky, gooey, sweet…. best served warm, fresh outta the oven 🙂 Perfect semi-homemade treat!
Enough said… check below for the recipe.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, I use Pepperidge Farm
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/6 stick of butter (about 2 tbsp), cut into small pieces
- Egg wash (whisk one egg with a splash of milk)
- Sliced almonds, optional
Make the filling:
- Add the frozen blueberries, sugar, salt in a saucepan and simmer on medium low heat. Stir gently, some of the berries will pop, which is fine. Cook the blueberries for about 10 minutes, until it’s cooked and saucy.
- While the berries are cooking, mix the cornstarch and lemon juice until there’s no lumps. Once the berries are cooked, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook for another 2 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Take off the heat and let cool.
Make the turnovers:
- Take out the puff pastry and let it thaw.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the pastry dough. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares, you’ll end up with 8 squares.
- Fill each square with one heaping tablespoon of blueberry. Brush the edges with water, fold them over to form a triangle, and press lightly with your fingers and then seal with the tines of a fork.
- Cut two small vents into the top of each pastry with the tip of a sharp knife, brush with the egg, sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. cool on a cooling rack and serve warm.